[CMake] What does find_package(COMPONENTS) do? and

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 16:47:15 EDT 2010

Hi,

The documentation says

> A package-specific list of components may be listed after the REQUIRED
> option or after the COMPONENTS option if no REQUIRED option is given.

http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake-2-8-docs.html#command:find_package

But it doesn't say why you would want to do that. At first I thought it was
to specify that only the components specified would be used to fill cmake
variables. However, find_package(Qt COMPONENTS QtCore) also results in
${QT_QTGUI_LIBRARY} being defined for example. So then I thought maybe the
semantic is that if one of the components can not be found, the find_package
fails. So I tried find_package(Qt REQUIRED QtCore QtDoesNotExist) which
works without error.

What am I missing?

The reason I ask is that I finally figured out why the tests in my library
needed to be linked to QtGui, even though it only uses QtCore.

The reason is that find_package(Qt) causes QT_GUI_LIB to be defined. Which
in turn causes QTEST_MAIN to be defined to expand to use QApplication
instead of QCoreApplication as it is if QT_GUI_LIB is not defined.

http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qt/blobs/4.7/src/testlib/qtest.h

find_package(Qt REQUIRED QtCore QtScript) does not cause QT_GUI_LIB to be
defined. However, some of my targets do need QtGui, so I should specify it,
right?

So if I do specify it I'll end up having QT_GUI_LIB defined when building my
unit tests. I could remove_definitions(-DQT_GUI_LIB), but apart from being a
BadHack(tm), it causes my unit tests which *do* require QtGui to fail at
runtime because they create QWidgets and by undeffing QT_GUI_LIB I build
them to use QCoreApplication instead of QApplication (Not allowed in Qt), so
the tests fail at runtime.

http://gitorious.org/grantlee/grantlee/blobs/0.1/tests/CMakeLists.txt

Is there a solution to all this? What is the point of COMPONENTS if it has
no effect on what I can include or link to? Is it possible to link some of
my tests to QtGui but not all of them and still have them all pass? Do I
need to just link my core tests to QtGui and use QApplication and quit my
complaining?

The only way I can see to satisfy all requirements is attached. Is that
acceptable or is there a better way?

All the best,

Steve.