[CMake] Why do people need so much control over details of their build?

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Mar 31 10:38:43 EDT 2010

David.Karr at L-3COM.COM wrote:
>> (1) AFAIK the <target>.idb file can be anywhere so long as it is in
>> the same place every time the linker runs.  Correct?  Therefore we
>> can hide it away in the <target>.dir/ directory in the build tree.
>
> Sounds good.  That's where the .obj files go, right?

Yes.

>> (2) Introduce a new setting similar to the runtime output directory:
>>
>>   CMAKE_SYMBOL_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY[_<CONFIG>]
>>         ^^^^^^ as in "debug symbol"; suggestions for name?
>
> Just out of curiosity: wouldn't the '/PDB' option control this?

Perhaps, but the IDE project file format has an xml element for it.
The IDE converts those xml elements into flags.

> I'll take a look at cmTarget.

Great, thanks.

FYI, we publish a copy of cmake.org/cmake.git on social coding sites:

  http://github.com/Kitware/CMake
  http://www.gitorious.org/cmake/cmake

If you fork off one of those then you can publish commits there
for review.

-Brad