[CMake] exe and dll vs. pdb and idb files (was RE: CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY without the extra'Debug' or 'Release' ?)

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Mar 29 18:27:56 EDT 2010

David.Karr at L-3COM.COM wrote:
> Brad King wrote:
>> Perhaps the install() command is better for that.
>
> it adds an extra step into the procedure

Just run "make install" instead of "make".

> just collecting .exes and .dlls in a directory within ${my_project_BINARY_DIR} is hardly a bona fide installation procedure

If you're staging for use by other machines, does it not make
sense to have an explicit stage directory?  How is that different
from creating an "install" tree just to create a tarball for
distribution?

The install() command was designed to give precise control over
the construction of install trees (AKA stages before tarballing).
I see no strong need to duplicate this functionality to the same
level of precision for the build outputs.

-Brad