[CMake] COMMAND does not accept standard method of splitting stderr and stdout results

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Wed Mar 17 14:39:47 EDT 2010

On 2010-03-17 13:46-0400 David Cole wrote:

> If you must run a script verbatim, then write a script.
> Then have cmake just execute the script.

My use case is I plan to have about 100 custom commands in my FreeEOS test
suite, and they all need their stderr split from stdout.  I guess the silver
lining here is I can use the same script for all of them so the workaround
won't be that much trouble. Nevertheless, it is a shame that CMake doesn't
handle this standard case correctly without having to resort to a workaround
script.

Currently VERBATIM means this according to the documentation:

If VERBATIM is given then all arguments to the commands will be escaped
properly for the build tool so that the invoked command receives each
argument unchanged.

How about extending that VERBATIM idea to the command itself (e.g., so
that command-line parentheses are handled properly)?

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).