[CMake] Problem with cmake when make is in a path with spaces.

David Ojeda david.ojeda at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 14:32:20 EDT 2010

Hello all,

I have a problem on a mac os x server where I want to compile a simple code
with cmake. The cmake process fails because it cannot compile a test file.
The output file shows some bizarre error. Apparently it cannot find the make
command. The problem lies, I think, in the fact that the make executable is
in a directory with spaces, so commands may need to escape the space.
Could anyone please shed a light on this issue? I have no idea how to solve
this issue, specially because I am not the administrator of the server, so I
cannot change where cmake is (I do not have permission to do a soft link to
a non-space path either).

Thanks a lot!

Here is the output:

$ cmake ../src/
-- The C compiler identification is GNU
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU
2010-03-17 19:26:04.519 sw_vers[93927:10b] CFPreferences: user home
directory at /Volumes/Server\ HD/Users/maltuve
is unavailable. User domains will be volatile.
-- Checking whether C compiler has -isysroot
-- Checking whether C compiler has -isysroot - yes
-- Check for working C compiler: /Volumes/Server HD/Volumes/Server
HD/usr/bin/gcc
2010-03-17 19:26:04.561 sw_vers[93936:10b] CFPreferences: user home
directory at /Volumes/Server\ HD/Users/maltuve
is unavailable. User domains will be volatile.
-- Check for working C compiler: /Volumes/Server HD/Volumes/Server
HD/usr/bin/gcc -- broken
CMake Error at /Volumes/Server
HD/opt/local/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:50 (MESSAGE):
 The C compiler "/Volumes/Server HD/Volumes/Server HD/usr/bin/gcc" is not
 able to compile a simple test program.

 It fails with the following output:

 Change Dir: /Volumes/Server
HD/Users/maltuve/code/HSMM/bin/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

 Run Build Command:/Volumes/Server\ HD/Volumes/Server\ HD/usr/bin/make
 "cmTryCompileExec/fast"

 /Volumes/Server HD/Volumes/Server HD/usr/bin/make -f
 CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/build.make
 CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/build

 make: /Volumes/Server: Command not found

 make: *** [cmTryCompileExec/fast] Error 127

 CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
 CMakeLists.txt:3 (PROJECT)