[CMake] CC, CXX, and FC environment variable regression in 2.8.1-rc4

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Sun Mar 14 13:49:21 EDT 2010

I often build with

export CC='gcc -g -fvisibility=hidden
export CXX='g++ -g -fvisibility=hidden'
and
export FC='gfortran -g -fvisibility=hidden'

but recently this has quit working because CMake fails to add
the necessary -fPIC flag to shared library builds.

Sorry I don't know the last CMake version where this worked, but I am pretty
sure I have used this sort of build successfully for earlier versions of
2.8.x, and definitely for cmake-2.6.4.

If I specify the flags another way, e.g.,

cmake -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS:STRING="-g -fvisibility=hidden" \
-DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING="-g -fvisibility=hidden" \
-DCMAKE_Fortran_FLAGS:STRING="-g -fvisibility=hidden" \

the necessary -fPIC flag for shared libraries is added in properly. However,
I would like the more convenient (set and forget) environment variable
approach to continue to work as previously.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).