[CMake] CMAKE_RC_FLAGS has no effect

Tony Bridges abridges at rim.com
Sat Mar 6 20:31:44 EST 2010

Setting a value into the CMAKE_RC_FLAGS field in the CMakeCache.txt file has no effect.

I am using the Visual Studio 2005 generator, although I have seen this also reported against VS2009.  I am using cmake 2.8 (from source with the midl quoting patch applied)

Instead of obeying _RC_FLAGS, any values set in CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS are passed to RC.EXE.  This presents a problem when attempting to pass a string.  The resource compiler requires the quotes around a string to be quoted, like this
   /D__USER__=\"$(username)\"
but passing this same string to the compiler causes it to choke.  Conversely, excluding the backslash is valid for the compiler,
   /D__USER__="$(username)"
but causes the resource compiler to complain of "unknown command".

Is there a way to isolate arguments for the resource compiler only ?

Many thanks
/tony