[CMake] static library link order

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu Mar 4 11:21:41 EST 2010

Biddiscombe, John A. wrote:

> Bill
>
>> Does ParaView itself not link static on linux?
>
> In general no not really. On our Cray we have no dynamic lib support
and this kind of thing is very painful. On other machines even if you
turn off shared libs, in actual fact, the final exe does pull in all the
system libs as shared ones, so it's not a true test.

Well, it does verify that internally all of the ParaView libraries are
in the right order.  If system libraries or other externals are shared
there is not much we can do about that.

>> set KWSYS_USE_DynamicLoader to 0
>
> where does one do that?

It would not help, as the calls to it would still be in ParaView.

>> There is not much more CMake can do for this. So, I would recommend
>>  moving the discussion to the ParaView or VTK developers list.
>
> OK. I am experimenting with Michael's CMAKE_CXX_LINK_EXECUTABLE
suggestion and have found some references using google, but I'm not
quite sure how to progress, so any hint welcome as they will certainly
save me time.

I don't think you should need to do that.   If the orders are wrong,
they should be fixed in the CMake files of ParaView.   Then you should
do a dashboard on the machine with the static system libraries so we can
keep it working.  Again, this is more of a question for the ParaView
list, I know at one point Alex N. built paraview on a cray xt5 with no
shared libraries.

-Bill