[CMake] FindHDF5.cmake improvement proposal

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Tue Mar 2 12:45:23 EST 2010

On 3/2/2010 12:41 PM, Antonio Valentino wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>

> Il giorno Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:19:32 -0500
> Michael Jackson<mike.jackson at bluequartz.net>  ha scritto:

>>> Oh, sorry.
>>> I found it on gitorious.org
>>>
>>> http://gitorious.org/hdf5/hdf5-v18/blobs/master/Resources/CMake/FindSZIP.cmake
>>>
>>> It seems that someone is going to Cmake-ify HDF5 itself.
>>> I suppose the license is the same as HDF5 but I should check.
>>>

>> That was me. Couple things. The SZip license is NOT compatible with
>> FreeBSD or similar licenses, just FYI. This would obviously NOT
>> preclude CMake from including the FindSZip.cmake (as it was written
>> by me) in their distribution. I guess I should put a Copyright or
>> acknowledgments or something at the top of FindSZip.cmake on
>> gitorious. What does one usually put in those?
>>
> OK, thanks for clarification.
>

>> There are a few of us that have pretty much developed a CMake build
>> system for HDF5 version 1.8. Note that this branch is NOT tracking
>> the latest official HDF5 svn repo. It was a separate effort. Note
>> also that "The HDF Group" who maintains HDF5 _are_ eventually moving
>> to a CMake build system in the near future. The "CMake HDF5" that is
>> up on gitorious seems stable and does pass all of its tests on
>> Windows, Linux, OS X**, a Cray XT and a cluster.
>>
> If I understand correctly using the HDF5 build with cmake should also
> simplify the life from the client side, isn't it?
>
> There will be a new FindHDF5.cmake?
> How will my CMakeLists.txt change?
>

> thanks

If we did our job correctly, you should not have to make any changes to
your current CMakeLists.txt files. And yes, having a CMake build system
alleviates a lot of pain of building HDF5 on certain platforms and for
"Clients" who are using CMake and want to build HDF5 as a part of their
project.

If you do try it and come across any issues, please let me know or post
them on the HDF email list.

Thanks
Mike J.