[CMake] add_custom_command issue

Surya Kiran Gullapalli suryakiran.gullapalli at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 02:54:38 EST 2010

Hello all,
I'm struggling with add_custom_command. Let me explain the problem in
detail.

I've these set of cxx files and hxx files. I run a perl script on each of
them to generate a certain kind of translation file. The command looks like

*perl trans.pl source.cxx -o source_cxx_tro*
*
*
and similarly for header.hxx files as well.

So I'll end up with some multiple commands (each for a file)

Then I run another perl scripn on the output generated from these commands
(source_cxx_tro, header_hxx_tro)

*perl combine.pl source_cxx_tro header_hxx_tro -o dir.trx*
*
*
*dir.trx* is the output file.

I've something like this.

*Loop_Over_All_Files()*
*Add_Custom_Command (OUTPUT ${trofile} COMMAND perl trans.pl ${file} -o
${file_tro})*
*List (APPEND trofiles ${file_tro})*
*End_Loop()*

*Add_Custom_Command (TARGET LibraryTarget POST_BUILD COMMAND perl
combine.pl${trofiles} -o LibraryTarget.trx)
*

What I expect is when building the post build target, the trofiles will be
built first. but it is not the case. The ${trofiles} are not getting built
and hence the post build command ends in a failure.
Is there any way I can tell the POST_BUILD command depend on the previous
custom command ?

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance,
Surya