[CMake] [cmake-developers] Bug fix requests for the *next* release of CMake...

J Decker d3ck0r at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 17:45:06 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 2:22 PM, Olaf van der Spek <olafvdspek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 11:13 PM, Michael Wild <themiwi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The problem is that there IS NO CONVENTION on name decoration.
>
> Why is that a problem?

well that any convention that YOU want, since there is no standard
outside of what YOU desire, means you need to apply naming conventions
to meat YOUR criteria.

>> And yes, especially as a library developer you have to be aware of things.
>
> Why?

Becuase it's something YOU desire, that the rest of the world rarely
uses.  I've seen less than half a dozen projects that attempt to do
that, and then have to fight with converting their projects to use
just standard names of libraries I already have (strip off _debug and
d's appended to library names for no good reason).  The product of a
single build type is put in a single place all together, so why would
there ever be a mixture.  How many libraries under linux actually
install realease and debug together?  and under windows there is no
particular standard for where to install things, so it's entirely open
for you to manipulate how you want.