[CMake] Quieting/speeding output

Kevin Fitch kfitch42 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 09:25:08 EDT 2010

But that pushes the burden of dependency checking onto the developer, which
essentially negates most of the value of having a build system. I want to
know immediately if I make some change that has ripple effects on other
libraries, e.g. I might have updated a header file, so that other libs need
to be rebuilt to interface properly. In this case that /fast target would
build something that was useless. There is nothing fundamental about
the dependency checking that should take so long (I know this because I have
an existing build system that does it much faster). It takes so long because
cmake does this dependency checking by invoking make many MANY times.

Kevin