[CMake] cross compiling - platform files

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Mon Jul 26 16:35:13 EDT 2010

On Friday 02 July 2010, Kishore wrote:
> On Thursday 01 Jul 2010 8:13:56 pm Kishore wrote:
> > In the CMake wiki (http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Cross_Compiling) it
> > says clearly that the platform module are included in the following
> > order;
> >
> > Platform/${CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME}.cmake (mandatory)
> > Platform/${CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME}-<compiler>.cmake (optional)
> > Platform/${CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME}-<compiler>-${CMAKE_SYSTEM_PROCESSOR}.cmake
> > (optional)
> >
> > However, in my project it seems that They are included in the reverse
> > order to that. At least, Generic-gcc-${CMAKE_SYSTEM_PROCESSOR}.cmake is
> > included before Generic-gcc.cmake.
> >
> > Can someone kindly confirm. Is this a bug in cmake or an error in
> > documentation?
>
> Anyone? What was the original intension when cresting this feature?

Wiki page seems to be wrong.
The CMAKE_SYSTEM_PROCESSOR file is included first so that there
hardware-specific flags can be set, which can then be inserted into the
compile or link variables in the more generic
${CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME}-<compiler>.cmake file.
This is usually necessary when working on embedded projects where different
compiler or linker flags are needed depending on the target hardware.

Alex