[CMake] How to link against a .dll with cmake?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 00:57:14 EDT 2010

> mingw can link using a .dll

I do not have much mingw experience but I have around 15 of windows
and Visual Studio experience. With Visual Studio you absolutely do not
link your application with .dlls. You use import libs with a .lib
extension the same way you do with a static lib. This import lib is
not a static lib however its much smaller. During the application load
process .dlls linked using import libraries are automatically loaded.
This is not the only way to use .dlls you can use them also without
linking but there is much more work in that.

John