[CMake] CPack: Detecting if to build DEB/RPM packages

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 17:08:27 EDT 2010

2010/7/22 Olaf van der Spek <olafvdspek at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Freddie Witherden
> <freddie at witherden.org> wrote:
>> I'll try adding a check for `rpmbuild` to my CMakeLists before enabling RPM packages.  This seems quite a nice solution as users should always get TGZ and DEB and RPM if possible.  From what I gather producing DEBs has no associated dependencies.
>
> Won't the deb generator soon have a dependency on the tool to generate
> the dependencies list?

Yes it should, if ever the proposed patch
is merged as-is.

My opinion concerning DEB and RPM is that it seems better
to rely on specific tools (dpkg-xxx and rpm/rpmbuild) if we want to
get "proper" package.

Trying not to depends on those tools lower the possibility
of the produce package (like lacking auto-dependencies)
and/or produce bad behaving package.

We may even think that building an rpm on a debian based host
is a non-sense even if rpm tools can be installed on debian.

Note that if ever ones lacks some package format support
alien may be the tool of choice: http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/alien
even if alien itself relies on supporting tools...

but now I'm really goiing off-topic ...stopping here.
--
Erk
http://www.april.org