[CMake] Avoid losing changes in Xcode when changing CMakeLists.txt

Michael Wild themiwi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 10:09:33 EDT 2010

On 22. Jul, 2010, at 15:57 , David Ojeda wrote:

> Hello CMakers!
>
> I am coding with some teammates that use Xcode as their IDE. Everything is
> working fine thanks to CMake, except for the following situation:
>
> 1. Developer X checkouts a project from svn and uses CMake to generate their
> Xcode project
> 2. Developer X succesfully compiles their executables and configures this
> executables in the Xcode environment (for example, he changes its arguments,
> library configurations for debugging, etc).
> 3. Developer Y checkouts the same project from svn and changes
> CMakeLists.txt (for example, he adds another library dependency or a new
> source file).
> 4. Developer Y commits its changes
> 5. Developer X updates its project and must re-generate their Xcode project.
> 6. PROBLEM: All changes made at step 2 were lost for Developer X.
>
> Have any of you had this problem before? How can I maintain developer X's
> settings?
>
> Thanks for your ideas!
>
> David.

Well, tell X not to change anything in Xcode ;-) Either make the changes in the cache, or if otherwise not possible, modify the CMake code, and only as the last resort, modify the settings in the IDE. The rule is to never ever open a settings dialog in the IDE :-P

Not much help, I know, but that's all the advice I can give.

Michael