[CMake] Finding Python3

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Tue Jul 20 12:18:55 EDT 2010

On 2010-07-20 17:12+0200 Michael Hertling wrote:

> On 07/20/2010 03:26 AM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> If I understand correctly, the intention of 10718 is to denote possibly
> non-equivalent alternatives after NAMES and use the super-path to pick
> out one of them.

Correct.  This issue has come up several times on the PLplot developer
list in several contexts (not only Python).  Without the fix, it
proves impossible to manipulate the super-PATH to allow CMake to find
anything later in the NAMES list (normally a lower version) if
something earlier (normally a higher version) exists anywhere in the
super-PATH on your system. The fix to 10718 is to swap the inner and
outer loops in the CMake code so super-PATH order takes precedence
over NAMES order.

I believe that solution of 10718 will make life easier for Find module
maintainers and developers.  Which is why I brought it up in
connection with this thread.  However, I don't want to
over-concentrate on this one matter at the expense of the rest of this
important topic which is how to improve the Python Find module.  So
that is probably enough about 10718 for now.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).