[CMake] Finding Python3

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Sun Jul 18 16:14:58 EDT 2010

On 2010-07-18 12:07-0700 Branan Purvine-Riley wrote:

> Unfortunately, I can't think of a way to get out of using hardcoded version
> lists, since python is often in specific locations (or has a specific executable
> name) based on its version number.

I haven't read through the new "Find Python" work up to now so my
apologies in advance if you do this already, but let me suggest what I
believe is the simplest versioning approach possible. I have two
underlying assumptions:

(1) http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=10718 is fixed.  In my
view this bug has been the source of much CMake find trouble for a long
time, and I hope the CMake developers make it a high priority to fix
it for CMake-2.8.3.

(2) The user is smart enough to put the python executable that they
want to use first on their (super-)PATH.

Once those two assumptions are fulfilled, the rest is straightforward.

Use find_program with a list (this is the inescapable maintenance
issue) of the names of all possible python excutable names (with
python at the top of that list and then after that in descending
version order).  If assumption (1) is correct, the order of this list
of alternative names for the python executable only matters if various
versions of python all occur within the first directory on the
super-PATH that contains any python executable at all.

The find_program approach will work most of the time since the python
executable name will either be python or some versioned name that is
located in a unique directory high on the super-path
with no other versioned possibilites in
that same directory. However, sometimes you may have the case where
python refers to, say, /usr/bin/python2.6, but the version the user
wants is /usr/bin/python2.5, and you are not running Debian where you
can easily switch between the two using the update-alternatives
--config command.  Or the CMake developers may have trouble fixing bug
10718 in a timely manner. For that special case where CMake appears
unable to find the python executable the user wants, there should be a
CMake mechanism to allow the user to pick exactly the python
executable they want.

Once the python executable has been determined, its exact version can
be found by running, e.g.,

# Get the Python version.
   execute_process(
     COMMAND
     ${PYTHON_EXECUTABLE} -c "import sys; print sys.version.split()[0]"
     OUTPUT_VARIABLE PYTHON_version_output
     OUTPUT_STRIP_TRAILING_WHITESPACE
     )
   SET(PYTHON_VERSION ${PYTHON_version_output} CACHE STRING "Python version")

(We use this approach currently in PLplot.)  One caveat is the result of
the above sometimes has trailing information that needs to be trimmed
off.  For example, on my current system the result is "2.6.5+".

Once you have determined the python version number triplet this way
from the python executable specified by the user, then enforcing
version consistency for everything else should become completely
straightforward with no further version lists to be maintained.

My $0.02.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).