[CMake] Install PDB files

Rolf Eike Beer eike at sf-mail.de
Thu Jul 8 15:56:00 EDT 2010

Am Thursday 08 July 2010 schrieb Bo Thorsen:
> Den 07-07-2010 19:43, Rolf Eike Beer skrev:
> > Am Wednesday 07 July 2010 schrieb Patrick Spendrin:
> >> Hello everybody,
> >>
> >> we're currently thinking about setting up a symbol server for our
> >> project, and cannot find out how to install the pdb file together with
> >> the install command (or in another way).
> >>
> >> Did somebody do this already? Is there only the way to fetch the pdb
> >> files by hand?
> >
> > We have currently an ugly macro that searches for the PDB in all possible
> > places (e.g. foo for NMake, foo/Release, foo/Debug, foo/RelWithDebInfo,
> > and foo/MinSizeRel for MSVC) and installs them. To make a long story
> > short: this sucks.
>
> There are people who have written better macros for this. The idea is to
> get the full path of a known target file - an exe for example - and
> replace the filename on it. Try googling for this, I don't have a link
> at hand.

Yes, that's also in the macro. I haven't written it, but IIRC there were
problems with CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY, different MSVC versions, NMake or
GUI and whatnot. Anyway, I still tend to see that as crap. IMHO there should
be a simple way to get the location of those files or better providing a simple
version to install them.

> > When someone adds this please keep in mind that gcc also has the
> > possibility to strip the debugging symbols of an object to a different
> > file. This should be taken care of here, too.
>
> I doubt that's a problem with .pdb files :)

Of course, but when we have a function to get those debug symbols for more
than one compiler that would be of general use.

> > I propose an option to the install command, something like:
> >
> > INSTALL(TARGET foo
> >
> >    ARCHIVE lib
> >    RUNTIME bin
> >    LIBRARY lib
> >    DEBUG_SYMBOLS dbg
> >
> > )
>
> Then you have people who want .map files, .exp files etc. You can't make
> a positive list and solve the actual problem.
>
> I have a bug report with this particular problem here:
>
> http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=10940

Ehm, that one doen't look very related or do I miss something?

Eike