[CMake] Proposal for new generator options

Clinton Stimpson clinton at elemtech.com
Sat Jan 16 18:48:24 EST 2010

On 01/16/2010 02:11 PM, Jochen Wilhelmy wrote:

>> I would suspect that most users use the default values. I pretty much
>> go with the defaults with the addition of adding the /MP parameter
>> inside my main CMakeLists.txt file.
> If you are the author of some software then this is fine. But I have
> the case where I have
> to use some existing visual studio projects using /MT and a cmake
> project, both of which
> I am not the maintainer and therefore changes cannot be made. So it
> was quite complicated
> to get it working.
>
> But what is against my proposal of splitting the -G option? for visual
> studio there are
> two more platforms except Win32 and Win64, some smartphone and mobile
> stuff.
> So the number of generators will explode anyway. with four versions
> and four platforms
> this are a whopping number of 16 generators for visual studio alone.

The generators are compiler and/or build system specific.  In other
words, none of the generators now have anything to do with compile flags.
Compiler flags have always been controlled with variables in cmake.
So what I think you are asking for is a change in design.
And you'd get a whole lot more than 16 generators if other compiler
flags were also considered.  And there's also the complication of
adjusting those same compile flags to different values for different
libraries/executables within one project.

Clint