[CMake] Feature requests for CMake-GUI

Adolfo Rodríguez Tsouroukdissian dofo79 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 05:00:47 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Michael Wild <themiwi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14. Jan, 2010, at 10:43 , Michael Wild wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > I normally never use cmake-gui, but did so for writing installation
> instructions. While doing so I came across some oddities and things that
> would be useful:
> >
> > - It seems to be impossible to see the cache-variable descriptions
> >
> > - Since cmake now has the --build option, it would be great if cmake-gui
> had the option of running some common targets (such as all, clean and
> install).
> >
> > Are these items on the todo-list already, or should I open
> feature-request for them in the tracker?
> >
> > Michael
>
> Before I forget:
>
> If the generator is associated with an IDE, it would be nice being able to
> fire that one up!

What's your take on inverting the problem? IDEs being able to fire up
cmake-gui (via a plugin or whatever). The thing is that with many IDEs (QT
creator, KDevelop4, Eclipse [one of the 2 ways of using it] ) you don't
invoke an IDE-specific generator, but generate plain makefiles, so if your
feature request is implemented, many IDEs would be unable to take advantage
of it.

Btw, KDevelop4 already implements something similar, but does not fire up
cmake-gui explicitly, but a (less-flexible) custom widget.

Best,

Adolfo