[CMake] cmake 2.6 : Issue in renaming the cmake executable on Linux

Mahendra Ladhe lml108 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 8 03:54:05 EST 2010

Hi,
   I've a Ubuntu 8.04.1 Linux machine and cmake version 2.4-patch 7 in /usr/bin/
Due to project requirement, I installed cmake version 2.6-patch 4 under /usr/local/

I want to make sure that when I or other users execute cmake, by default it's always the 2.4 version in /usr/bin/cmake irrespective of PATH env var settings. Those who want
to invoke cmake version 2.6 should explicitly use the full path.
To ensure this I renamed the cmake 2.6 executable under /usr/local/bin/cmake to
/usr/local/bin/cmake-2.6

But this renaming is causing problems as follows.

root at linux:/usr/local/bin#  ./cmake-2.6 --version
CMake Error: CMake executable cannot be found at /usr/local/bin/cmake
Segmentation fault

mladhe at linux:~/bld] /usr/local/bin/cmake-2.6 ..
CMake Error: CMake executable cannot be found at /usr/local/bin/cmake
CMake Error: Error executing cmake::LoadCache(). Aborting.

I did the renaming so that plain 'cmake' always refers to version 2.4 under /usr/bin
irrespective of PATH setting.

What could be the reason for choosing above behaviour by cmake implementors ?

Thank you,
Mahendra