[CMake] Cmake v2.8.0 ported to OS/2 - a question on DLL creation

Paul Smedley pauldespam at despamsmedley.id.au
Wed Jan 6 17:19:23 EST 2010

Hi Bill,

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 17:43:44 UTC, Bill Hoffman
<bill.hoffman at kitware.com> wrote:

> Paul Smedley wrote:
> > Whilst it still needs more testing and the diffs definitely need
> > tidying up, I've created an OS/2 port of cmake 2.8.0 - which is
> > available for download from my site at http://os2ports.smedley.info
> >
> > The actual diffs + os2.cmake file can be downloaded from
> > http://smedley.info/cmake-2.8.0-os2-patches.zip
> >
> > One question - OS/2 has a limitation for shared libraries that they
> > must have 8.3 filenames - can anyone think of a way to make this
> > happen automagically in cmake?
> >
> > I was thinking of some kind of check for shared library name > 8
> > charaters long, then mangle a new name using some combination of the
> > first xxx characters of the requested name, and the last yyy
> > characters of the requested name to try and make sure the DLL name is
> > unique.
> >
> That might work....   Another possibility is to leave this up to the
> project.  CMake could just warn and say you need to set a OUTPUT name on
> target N for this to work on OS/2.   I would imagine that there would be
> other changes for a project if you were porting to OS/2.
Well actually - building Scribus hasn't needed any changes to the
project cmake files - which is why I'd like to do it from within cmake
:)

> This is interesting work, I would be interested in incorporating it into
> CMake if you were willing to run a nightly OS/2 dashboard.  Would you be
> willing to do that?

What's required in running a 'nightly OS/2 dashboard' if it's not too
complex, I'd be willing ot look at doing it.  I'd love to get the OS/2
stuff into the cmake repository as it makes building future versions
much easier withough having to muck around with patches :)

--
Cheers,

Paul.