[CMake] CTEST_UPDATE_COMMAND vs sparse working copy (was Re: continuous integration with CMake)

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Thu Feb 18 09:14:05 EST 2010

The APPEND option is probably a little more complicated than you think it
is... And it is not "secretly" (or otherwise) added to ctest_update...
CMake, being open source and all, has no secrets. :-)

We need to write some docs or an article that explains how to use "APPEND"
well.

Every call to ctest_build yields a completely new Build.xml file to send to
CDash. The APPEND option merely tells CDash to append the results to those
already in the database for a given build... it does not actually append
data to the same Build.xml file. Therefore, if you use it, you must also use
piecemeal ctest_submit calls to send each Build.xml file as it's produced
over to CDash before the next call overwrites the Build.xml file. (Things
are getting more complicated as CMake ages.)

Bottom line: there is still work to be done to accomodate these different
usage scenarios...

HTH, (for now)
David