[CMake] Would it be possible to have cmake make final binaries?

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Tue Aug 31 12:59:33 EDT 2010

Steps 7 thru 10 on your list may be performed by the command lines:
  cmake --build . --config Release
  cmake --build . --target install --config Release
  (equivalent to the "make; make install" parts of your example command
line)

Causing that to happen in delicious GUI form would be simple enough... But
do enough people want this...? Or do people like switching over to the IDEs?

We've talked about a "build" button in the cmake-gui before, but if errors
occur, you have to go elsewhere to edit code anyhow.

If we have a build button, we have to:
- make sure we handle voluminous output from the build tools
- provide a way to interrupt a build in progress when the observer can't
wait any longer...

It shouldn't be hard, but it's not entirely trivial either. Deliciousness
never is.

What do others think? Is this a thing you've always wanted, or something
you've never even wished for...?

Thanks,
David

(this is the cross-platform equivalent of "make; make install" in your
example.)