[CMake] Would it be possible to have cmake make final binaries?

Mark Roden mmroden at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 11:33:18 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm wondering if it would be possible to have CMake bypass IDEs altogether
and just produce the final, installed results.

Right now, I do this:
1) download source
2) configure source
3) tweak settings
4) configure source again
5) Probably configure a third time, depending on what CMake wants to make
the 'generate' button show up
6) generate code
7) open IDE
8) select build style (debug, release, etc)
9) build
10) build install
11) use libraries/exes/etc

Would it be possible to combine steps 6-10 with a single button in CMake?
That is, have a CMake default flag that is 'build style', and have that be
something like 'debug' (which corresponds to a set of compiler switches,
etc), 'release' (other switches), and so forth.  Have that show up as a
simple option when configuring.  Then, rather than having to go through all
subsequent steps, just have a third button that is 'build and install', that
just goes right to building and installing?

The idea is that if I need to set up a development environment on a new
machine, or recover from a crash, or the like, I should be able to download
the source and (ideally) press a single button to make it happen.

I've followed this style:

for a while now, and having the one-button deployment really shows
weaknesses in the process, as well as really helps have end users get to
what they actually want, which is an installed, usable version of the code
that they downloaded.  It's like running ./configure; make; make install
from the command line, but in delicious GUI form and allowing you to easily
flip whatever switches you want in step 3 above.

Make sense?  Good idea/bad idea?

Thanks,
Mark