[CMake] Support for multiple components in cpack (reloaded)

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 04:43:48 EDT 2010

2010/8/21 Clinton Stimpson <clinton at elemtech.com>:

> I wondered if one would typically use groups if their project contained sub projects, and the sub projects had different conventions for the component names.

I do not usually work with sub-project and I must admit I don't even know
how CPack behave for project with sub-project. I'll try in order to observe
the current behavior.

> Would grouping be a way to overcome that?
> It doesn't seem so, because in the wiki, the nsis example shows a hierarchy of components.
> Or does one just make a common display name for multiple components?

I think component introduction in CPack was meant to bring a mean for:
building a single installer which contains both mandatory and optional part
**in the same package**.

Grouping seem to be there to ease display and "group" selection because
you can tick/untick a group.

Now I think may be you could achieve the same "grouping" effect by using
subproject but:
     1) the devel/runtime grouping does not fall in this category
     2) the component thing is more flexible because you can throw any
         part of your project inside any component whereas using sub-project
         enforce some structural inclusion.

So I think that some sub-project may replace grouping but not all.

--
Erk
http://www.april.org