[CMake] Strange behaviour with self link

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Wed Aug 11 06:45:24 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 4:21 AM, Diablo 666 <thediablo666 at hotmail.de> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I'm getting in some trouble with a self linking directory under Linux here.
> In /home/, there is a sym-link "zam", linking to . (please don't ask me, why
> they created this one...)

OK... I won't ask "why?" -- the fact that you told us not to ask means you
realize this is some flavor of crazy....

> Now I have a directory Test with a sub-directory Foo and the following
> CMakeLists.txt:
>
> cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.6)
> PROJECT (TEST)
>
> ADD_SUBDIRECTORY(Foo)
>
> ccmake now creates the following message:
>
> CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:4 (ADD_SUBDIRECTORY):
>    add_subdirectory not given a binary directory but the given source
>    directory "/home/zam/zam/zam/diablo/Test/Foo" is not a subdirectory of
>    "/home/zam/zam/diablo/Test".  When specifying an out-of-tree source a
>    binary directory must be explicitly specified.
>
> Any idea, why this is happening?

I would guess it's because of the symlink to "." that you mention. Does the
same thing happen if you build in a non-zam based directory?

How did you invoke cmake? What are the actual source and build directories?