[CMake] libraryname decoration

Michael Wild themiwi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 10:08:32 EDT 2010

On 10. Aug, 2010, at 15:15 , Olaf van der Spek wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 5:59 PM, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:
>> Here are the facts, as I see them:
>> - It would be possible to add automatic opt-in (not enabled by default)
>> library name decoration rules to CMake
>>
>> - If the CMake team were to implement such a feature:
>> -- it would save Olaf from having to do it himself
>> -- it would take the CMake team a boat-load of time and money and effort to
>> implement the feature
>
> I assumed it would be a fairly trivial thing.
> Why would it cost so much time/money?
>
> Olaf

Even if it isn't too complicated, it's expensive. Say, you allocate one person for 3 days to do the implementation plus testing and assume the hour to cost on the order of $125 (many Kitware people having a PhD, adding costs to run the company etc...) you're at $3000. But many here think that such a feature would be quite complicated to implement and would require long discussions on how to do it exactly (e.g. what should the API look like?), so you're probably closer to 2-3 weeks (or even more), boosting the price to $10000 or $15000, respectively.

Do you have that kind of money for such a small feature, or wouldn't it be preferable to spend the few hours to do it the way I proposed earlier?

Michael