[CMake] Building source RPMs?

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Thu Aug 5 15:25:14 EDT 2010

On Thursday 05 August 2010, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 10:39, Eric Noulard <eric.noulard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What is your usage pattern?
>
> We ship most of our sources as source RPMs since most of our changes are
> added patches to upstream (CentOS) RPMs.
>
> It is just nice to also ship the source of our own code as RPMs rather than
> as tar-ball.  However, I don't see a big problem with simply dropping use
> of CPack and writing the SPEC files manually.  It would just be a
> nice-to-have is all.

Somehow I don't really understand how a source RPM or source deb generator
would make sense for CPack.
E.g. a source deb is the plain source package, plus an optional patch, plus a
file which describes how to build it.
IMO the patch would be always non-existent if generated with CPack (since this
generates the package directly from the original source tree), so the only
thing left would be to generate the spec file.
I guess for a source RPM it's similar ?

Alex