[CMake] Fwd: Does 2.8.0 rc4 not have the ZERO_CHECK fix?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 10:42:47 EDT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kevin Burge <kevin.burge at systemware.com>
Date: Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 10:41 AM
Subject: Re: [CMake] Does 2.8.0 rc4 not have the ZERO_CHECK fix?
To: John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com>

I had a possibly related problem according to Bill Hoffman (windows
frequently rebuilding targets).  I just switched back from 2.9
20091027 to 2.8 and it started building one of the targets
unnecessarily, but, I did not clean anything, I only re-ran cmake.

I just confirmed - if I "touch" my CMakeLists.txt in the root of my
tree, when I next run nmake it starts rebuilding my targets with 2.8.0
rc4.

Now trying 2.9 20091027 the same exact way, to see if it does the same thing.

It is doing the same thing. :(  I misreported that 20091027 fixed my problem.

Here's what I'm doing, building in "bld" source is in "src".

* I remove all files in "bld"
* I run:

%HOMEDRIVE%\Progra~1\cmake2~1.9\bin\cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE="Debug"
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=C:/home/kevin/work/run/all -DSWI_BUILD_XDS=ON
-G "NMake Makefiles" ../src

* I run nmake

* I hit-ctrl C after it builds up to the 5th target or so (the first 3
are downloads, the next 2 are external builds via a custom external
build script somewhat adapted from ExternalProject)

* if I rerun nmake at this point, it starts building where it should
(on the fifth target)

* I open src\CMakeLists.txt add a byte, save, remove the byte, save.

* I run nmake again, then it starts building all the targets again
(after it reconfigures itself).

cmake is not in my path, and I've "sanitized" my PATH variable so it
basically only finds perl, ruby, VS2005, and windows system dirs (a
requirement for my build).

I've attached my Download script that mimics ExternalProject to some
degree (I do not do the touch ".....-done").

The first three targets are defined via (basically):

set (stamp_dir ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/${PROJECT_NAME}-stamp)
sw_add_external_library (${PROJECT_NAME}
  "${SWI_URL_PREFIX}/tsmapi/${_file}"            # URL of file to download
  ${stamp_dir}
  )

The second two are built by custom targets/commands also.

Anyways, maybe I'm just doing something wrong with my custom targets.
But, since it works fine on other platforms, it makes me think
something is broken on windows.  For the download code, that
"reconfigure" step is even deleting my stamp_dir altogether.  I have
no idea why.  I thought it might be because I wasn't explicitly
creating it.  But adding a make directory to the steps didn't help.

Thanks,
Kevin