[CMake] Open Source Memory Checker

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 14:21:56 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Steve Huston <shuston at riverace.com> wrote:
>> If linux has valgrind which is an open source memory checker, is
>> there any equivalent on Windows?  I noticed ctest supports purify,
>> but it looks like that's only a pay solution.  Am I out of luck
>> trying to find a memory checker that's open source on Windows?
>
> I've not heard of any. But IMO, Purify is worth the money IBM charges
> for it - you'll save more than that in time spent tracking down memory
> errors.

Does it work well with complex applications? I have used boundschecker
in the past (years ago) and now memoryvalidator but I find that these
are very difficult to use when there are thousands of memory
allocations tracked. I see way too many false positives (stl, boost,
qt,mfc ...) and other issues. Also with these the memory corruption
testing is way too slow to be helpful. It works fine on a small test
project but fails miserably in an application with 1 million lines of
code.

John