[CMake] combining static libraries

James C. Sutherland James.Sutherland at utah.edu
Wed Oct 14 11:39:59 EDT 2009

I have a situation where I have a few TPLs that are built via auto
tools and another project with CMake.
	tpl1 -> lib1
	tpl2 -> lib2
	myproject -> libmyproj

I would like to combine the two TPLs into my project library.  From
looking at previous postings on this list, it seems that it was not
possible a few years ago.  Is that still the case?

It seems that there are two recommended options:

1. absorb tpl1 and tpl2 into the CMake build system and build the
single library together.  This is not a pleasant option since I don't
want to recreate the build systems for tpl1 and tpl2 in CMake.

2. Set up an install for myproject that allows CMake's "find package"
to automatically set lib1 and lib2 as required libraries

Are these the only two options, or does CMake now allow one to combine
static libs?

Thanks for any tips,

James