[CMake] Why FindBoost messaging not unified?

Philip Lowman philip at yhbt.com
Fri Oct 9 01:43:46 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 6:04 PM, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net> wrote:

> 3. The only way to get error is to explicitly use REQUIRED option
>
> FIND_PACKAGE(Boost 1.36 REQUIRED)
>
> but for FIND_PACKAGE(ZLIB) as explained in point 2. above
> it is not necessary to explicitly specify REQUIRED option
> and error is printed.
>
> I tested the original version of FindBoost from CMake 2.6 as well as
> today version from CVS. No difference regarding this issue.
>
> I used ZLIB as example but most of FindXXX macros work this way,
>
> In my opinion behaviours of FindBoost is inconsistent in comparison
> to other standard macros.

Mateusz,

You're right, this is inconsistent.  I've just fixed FindBoost in CVS to
output the following to STATUS if Boost is not found:

-- Could NOT find Boost

I also added an option which if enabled outputs the more detailed error
message (outputted in REQUIRED mode) below this line.

If you have any other CMake related suggestions please feel free to
accompany your mailing list posts with a feature request and/or patch on the
bugtracker if you have the time.

http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Modules/FindBoost.cmake?root=CMake&view=log

--
Philip Lowman