[CMake] Introduction

Tyler Roscoe tyler at cryptio.net
Tue Oct 6 11:25:07 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 07:32:15PM +0530, kusum kumar wrote:
> I am Kusum Madarasu and i'm an undergraduate student . I want to start
> contributing to cmake in whatever way possible (preferably coding..... ) ,
> so I would request any admin to introduce me to the things around here

Hi Kusum,

Your enthusiasm is awesome.

I am not a CMake admin so feel free to ignore me, but I think you're
going about this upside-down. The only way to contribute to an Open
Source project like CMake is to just start doing it. It's not like
school or a job where a professor or manager will give you assignments
and lay out goals and give you a grade (or promotion :)) at the end.

There are tons of bugs in the bug tracker just waiting for someone with
the time and energy to fix them.  You can start to figure out which bugs
are most important by looking at their priority, how active they are
(how many responses from people saying "please oh please fix this bug it
would save me 198321 hours/year!"), and how often they come up on the
mailing list.

Or, do you personally have problems with CMake, or have your own pet
enhancement? Most people get started in Open Source because they want to
solve their own problems.

good luck and hth,
tyler