[CMake] install FILES given unknown argument "PATTERN" -- Windows only?

Tyler Roscoe tyler at cryptio.net
Mon Oct 5 18:56:16 EDT 2009

I was overzealous with some pasting and ended up accidentally adding a
PATTERN line to an install (FILES ...) command. CMake 2.6.2 on Linux
didn't complain, but CMake on Windows did:

CMake Error at CMakeTargets.txt:122 (install):
install FILES given unknown argument "PATTERN".
Call Stack (most recent call first):

Why is this only an error on one platform? Does Linux allow PATTERNs in
install (FILES ...) but Windows does not allow this? Is it a bug? If so,
I can add it to the tracker.

A semi-related question that is hopefully not interesting enough for its
own thread: is there a way to set a global default exclude pattern? It
seems silly to have to have a line that does PATTERN ".svn" EXCLUDE in
all of my install (DIRECTORIES ...) rules.

Thanks,
tyler