[CMake] CMake cvs TOT and Xcode

James Bigler jamesbigler at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 12:58:23 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com> wrote:
> Sean McBride wrote:
>>
>> On 10/2/09 10:40 AM, Bill Hoffman said:
>>
>>> We did change CMake.  Before we used to hard code the build archs into
>>> the file (i386, ppc, etc.).   We now use a variable that Xcode uses,
>>> something like $(DEFAULT_ARCH) different name, but you get the idea. If that
>>> is not defined for some reason for this version of Xcode we can fix it.
>>>  CMake knows what version it is building for.  We did have this same problem
>>> with Xcode 1.5 and did a fix.   So, since this is most likely a regression,
>>> I would like to fix it.   However, I don't have access to Xcode 3.0 so it is
>>> hard to fix... :)
>>
>> Xcode 3.0 is free to download, though you do need a (free) ADC account:
>> https://connect.apple.com
>>
>> You can also have multiple versions of Xcode installed simultaneously,
>> so you could have 3.0 and 3.1.4 installed.  (I'm not sure how well CMake
>> itself would deal with this though.)
>>
>> And the Xcode release notes have a detailed account of what changed when:
>> <http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/releasenotes/DeveloperTools/RN-
>> Xcode/index.html>
>>
>> I bet if you searched it for 'something like $(DEFAULT_ARCH)' you'd find
>> when that was added (probably 3.1).
>
> Well, let me rephrase that....  I don't want to install Xcode 3.0 if I don't
> have to...  :)
>
> Hmmm, looking at the code:
>
> cmGlobalXcodeGenerator.cxx line 2645:
>
>  if(this->XcodeVersion >= 32)
>      {
>      osxArch = "$(ARCHS_STANDARD_32_64_BIT)";
>      }
>  else if(this->XcodeVersion <= 25)
>      {
> #ifdef __i386
>      osxArch = "i386";
> #endif
> #ifdef __ppc__
>      osxArch = "ppc";
> #endif
>      }
>    else
>      {
>      osxArch = "$(ARCHS_STANDARD_32_BIT)";
>      }
>

> I bet 30 had the ARCHS_STANDARD_32_64_BIT.  So, James, can you try changing
> CMake to have  if(this->XcodeVersion >= 30) and see if it fixes the problem?
>
> -Bill

Bill, that didn't seem to fix the problem.  I attached the source and
build directory with --debug-trycompile ran.

I also verified the version and osxArch values:

/code/cmake-cvs/Source/cmGlobalXCodeGenerator.cxx:2645 this->XcodeVersion == 30
/code/cmake-cvs/Source/cmGlobalXCodeGenerator.cxx:2663 osxArch =
$(ARCHS_STANDARD_32_64_BIT)

James