[CMake] Best practices when using CMake 2.6 and Eclipse CDT 6.0

Philip Lowman philip at yhbt.com
Fri Oct 2 08:13:15 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 7:43 AM, Mike Jackson <mike.jackson at bluequartz.net>wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 4:03 AM, Romain CHANU <romainchanu at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am starting to use Eclipse CDT 6.0 / CMake 2.6 for C++ development and
> > would like to have some information on how to integrate these two
> software
> > together.
> >
> > I have been reading these pages:
> >
> > http://www.itk.org/Wiki/CMake:Eclipse
> > http://www.itk.org/Wiki/Eclipse_CDT4_Generator
> >
> > However, they seem quite out-dated :-\
> >
> > Could anyone tell me what are the best procedures / practices to follow
> when
> > using the latest version of Eclipse and CMake?
> >
> > Thank you for your help.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Romain
>
> I personally use Option #2 (I also helped write part of that page). I
> find that in my particular situation, having the ability to compile
> from the command line and from within eclipse can be helpful at times.
> The downside to Option #2 is that you have to manually setup the
> project after you generate the Makefiles. Usually you only have to do
> this once so for me it is not a big deal. Those with a large number of
> projects to import into Eclipse would probably find Option #2 to be a
> pain. Your Choice.

For what it's worth, since Option #1 (the CDT4 generator) simply extends the
Makefile generator you can still run "make" from the command line in
addition to building from the Eclipse project.

VERBOSE mode used to be turned on by default when using the CDT4 generator
which was a bit of an annoyance for command line use but this has since been
disabled (also, make VERBOSE="" mostly worked around this when it was a
problem).

--
Philip Lowman