[CMake] Install problems

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed May 20 10:29:40 EDT 2009

Gheorghe Iancu wrote:
> compiler:
> VisualAge C++ Professional / C for AIX Compiler, Version 6

I don't think anyone has ever built CMake with that compiler before.
The only testing we have on AIX is with VisualAge 9.0.  See here:

   http://www.cdash.org/CDash/index.php?project=CMake

for tested platforms.  A new platform can become officially
supported if someone helps us get it working initially and also
starts submitting a nightly build to the dashboard.

> I got the following error:
Let's focus on 2.6.  There will be no more 2.4 patch releases.

> I also tryied with CMake cmake-2.6.4 and there it didn't pass a
> configure test:

This is not actually a configure check.  The "configure" script is
just an alias for the "bootstrap" script.  It's actually building
a minimal CMake which will generate a build system for all of CMake.

>     "/u/giancu/download/install/cmake-2.6.4/Source/cmMakefile.cxx", line
>     2586.14: 1540-0296 (S) A return value of type
>     "cmsys::auto_ptr<cmFunctionBlocker>" cannot be initialized with an
>     rvalue of type "cmsys::auto_ptr<cmFunctionBlocker>".

This is our own auto_ptr implementation which is needed to work around
lack of proper auto_ptr support on some compilers.  The implementation
defaults to standard C++ for unrecognized compilers.  However, this
old VisualAge compiler does not appear to be conformant enough to
support it.  We'll have to teach the implementation how to deal with
this compiler.

Please send me (off-list) the preprocessed output of the file being
compiled when this error occurs.

Thanks,
-Brad