[CMake] eclipse generator and sibling folders

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Sun May 10 09:37:23 EDT 2009

2009/5/9 Alexander Neundorf <a.neundorf-work at gmx.net>:
> On Friday 08 May 2009, Eric Noulard wrote:
>> 2009/5/4 Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva <miguelf at ieee.org>:
>> > It is no the nicest solution, but it works around the problem of the
>> > out-of-source builds with CVS sources. It is described here:
>> >
>> > http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/Eclipse_CDT4_Generator
>>
>> Yes that's right, that's just you have 2 project instead of one, but
>> I know it's currently the best you can do.
>>
>> > Hope that helps,
>>
>> I'll try to use it for a while and may be I will get used to the 2
>> projects things :-)
>
> Since the issues we have with Eclipse and out-of-source builds are not caused
> by CMake, but by Eclipse CDT having trouble with out-of-source builds...
>
> Maybe somebody could try to get active in the Eclipse community and try to get
> the things fixed in Eclipse CDT so it can do proper out-of-source builds ?

As far as I remember the discussion on Eclipse ML, it is NOT a CDT limitation
but an Eclipse Platform one. Eclipse Platform "Team" abstraction which
is common to any eclipse project (including CDT ones) assumes that
"there is a one-to-one mapping between a project and a repository provider"

i.e. the Generated Eclipse  project file should be IN the source
controlled directory.

http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/platform-cvs-dev/msg00462.html

However, Yes you are right that should be the way to go.
I did thought about it but I personnally thought the time to spent for
achieving this to be relatively high.

The metrics were mine though :-)
  - Not too much knowledge of Eclipse internals
  - Seem to be an Eclipse-Team design re-work
    which  seems very constrained:
 http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/platform-cvs-dev/msg00463.html

--
Erk