[CMake] building within msys/mingw

Jason Addison jraddison at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 22:32:05 EDT 2009

I'm having trouble running bootstrap. I have mingw and msys installed.
As much as possible, I have installed everything as recommended. (I'm
trying to build and install cmake in order to build Open Scene Graph.)

I've exported MAKE=/mingw/make. When I run ./bootstrap (from within
msys) I get some "g++ has ..." messages, and then a message from make
that there is no rule to make target <abs path>/cmake.cxx needed for
cmake.o. As an experiment, I changed all of the absolute paths in the
Makefile to relative paths and was able to run make manually in
Bootstrap.cmk. I then commented out the lines in bootstrap that run
make and ran it again getting a little further.

Now it fails saying that ``The C compiler "C:/MinGW/bin/gcc.exe" is
not able to compile a simple test program''. It goes on to say the it
fails with the following output: Change Dir:
C:/msys/1.0/home/jra/cmake-2.6.3/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp.

I saw something somewhere about not having sh.exe in my path. I tried
removing it and running bootstrap and that went nowhere.

I tried the pre-built binary for Windows, but it looks like that is
for VisualC, so that doesn't seem like it will work for me.

Did I miss some key documentation? Everything that I was building in
mingw/msys was working as expected until I got to cmake.

Thanks,
Jason