[CMake] Question about find_library()

Robert Dailey rcdailey at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 13:54:32 EDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Alexander Neundorf <
a.neundorf-work at gmx.net> wrote:

> I think I have to object here.
> AFAIK the CMake devs prefer to basically use mark_as_advanced() by default
> for
> all results from find_library/program/path/file() in find-modules, and only
> keep those entries visible in the simple view which should be
> user-adjustable.
> E.g. for FindQt4.cmake I think the only non-advanced variable is
> QT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE, since this is the one which basically decides about
> all
> other variables.
> Or options which adjust how the project will be built should be
> non-advanced.

You are correct. A quote from the /Modules/readme.txt:

*
"For tidiness's sake, try to keep as many options as possible out of
the cache, leaving at least one option which can be used to disable
use of the module, or locate a not-found library (e.g. XXX_ROOT_DIR).
For the same reason, mark most cache options as advanced."
*

This readme.txt can be found here:
http://www.cmake.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Modules/readme.txt?root=CMake&view=markup