[CMake] CMake and multiple Microsoft compilers on windows

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 15:49:52 EDT 2009

> If you use the IDE generators for CMake, you do not need to modify the
> environment at all.  It is only when using nmake or make, that you need an
> environment that is setup to run the compiler.   If you do want to use
> nmake, VS 2003 and above have command prompts that can be found in the
> "Visual Studio Tools" menu of the Start menu.   Just run the one you want,
> then run cmake-gui from the command line:  c:\Program Files\CMake
> 2.6\bin\cmake-gui.

But then with this setup cmake-2.6.3 is scanning my vc6 headers and
libs to generate vc2005 projects.

Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual
Studio/VC98/Bin/CL.EXE
Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual
Studio/VC98/Bin/CL.EXE -- works
Detecting C compiler ABI info
Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual
Studio/VC98/Bin/CL.EXE
Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual
Studio/VC98/Bin/CL.EXE -- works
Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
Looking for sys/types.h