[CMake] Fwd: CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 15:36:55 EDT 2009

All,

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 1:20 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It seems the following works (at least the cmake_install.cmake
>> commands appear to get generated appropriately).
>>
>> FILE(TO_CMAKE_PATH "${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}" CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX)
>>
>> Is there a CMPxxxx policy which deals with this which I have missed?
>>
> Sorry I don't know.

No problem.

Well to shed some further light on it, it is not CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX
which is causing me grief.  I wrote a simple CMakeLists.txt and it
appears that there's some magic happening on CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX
variable.   Even though I pass in c:\some\path, it still becomes
c:/some/path.

So looking further, I have a third party library path which is also
passed in on the command line (where this munged path is coming from).

running my sample project, like this,

cmake -G"NMake Makefiles"
-D"CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=%userprofile%\Desktop\project"
-D"THIRD_PARTY_PATH=%userprofile%\Desktop" ..

nmake install

provides this notice,

   C:/Users/gneill/Desktop/test/build/cmake_install.cmake:36

 when parsing string

   C:\Users\gneill\Desktop/doc/george.txt

 Invalid escape sequence \U

 Policy CMP0010 is not set: Bad variable reference syntax is an error.  Run
 "cmake --help-policy CMP0010" for policy details.  Use the cmake_policy
 command to set the policy and suppress this warning.
This warning is for project developers.  Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.

... but installs the files correctly.

By changing my command line to this (adding :PATH to the
THIRD_PARTY_PATH variable)

cmake -G"NMake Makefiles"
-D"CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=%userprofile%\Desktop\project"
-D"THIRD_PARTY_PATH:PATH=%userprofile%\Desktop" ..

It runs without any warnings.  So I guess :PATH automatically runs
TO_CMAKE_PATH on the variable.

Thanks,
George.

--