[CMake] automatically re-generating makefiles

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 17 15:26:07 EDT 2009

Bill Hoffman wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>>> Makefile : cmake_check_build_system
>>
>> Shouldn't this rather be:
>> Makefile: <list of CMakeLists.txt, etc>
>>     cmake_check_build_system
>> ?
>>
>> ...in which case, the only thing that should get checked is if the
>> CMakeLists.txt are newer than the Makefile. So in most cases this
>> should be fast.
>
> We need to run cmake_check_build_system first because make can not
> handle missing depend .h files.

I'm not saying to stop doing anything that is currently done.

AFAICT, right now the Makefile itself does not have any dependencies; it
seems that adding 'Makefile: <build system files>' with the rule from
cmake_check_build_system would fix the original problem. So the question
is if running cmake_check_build_system twice in a row can either be
eliminated or kept reasonable.

--
Matthew
You're on your own for the pony. -- Richard Hughes, on feature requests