[CMake] Progress reporting in CMake

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Mar 17 14:29:30 EDT 2009

Denis Scherbakov wrote:
> I see progress jumping even on freshly CMake prepared, but never compiled tree.
>
> So is this a bug or a feature?

The progress is an approximation at best.  It should always betting
bigger, and it should not go over 100%.   Working with make there really
is not a better way to do it.   When the first configure is run, CMake
has really no idea how much stuff is in the project, so it just keeps
heading towards 100 until it is done.   After that it basically just
reports on the number of directories processed.   There is no global
count of all the rules that need to be run in make, or a way to get that
information.

-Bill