[CMake] automatically re-generating makefiles

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 17 11:19:56 EDT 2009

Eric Noulard wrote:
> 2009/3/16 Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net>:
>> I think if this isn't working, either a: cmake isn't writing
>> optimal dependencies for the makefiles themselves,
>
> Optimal depends in which sense. With the current scheme
> I would say that dependency is checked "almost always when needed",
> with your propose scheme it would have to be checked
> "always even if not needed", I would bet that unconditionnally checking
> dependency for non-existing target may be "sub-optimal" because
> it may cost you many unneeded check for rare case of needed checks.

Other than "make help" and "make bogus_target", what would cause a check
if this change was made that wouldn't cause it currently? Maybe I miss
something?

> Makefile : cmake_check_build_system

Shouldn't this rather be:
Makefile: <list of CMakeLists.txt, etc>
     cmake_check_build_system
?

...in which case, the only thing that should get checked is if the
CMakeLists.txt are newer than the Makefile. So in most cases this should
be fast.

--
Matthew
You're on your own for the pony. -- Richard Hughes, on feature requests