[CMake] exe/a/so sufixes depend on configuration

Dmytro Ovdiienko dmitriy.ovdienko at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 10:06:58 EST 2009

Hello All,

I use CMake to build my project's sources on windows and linux using static
and dynamic runtimes.

I would like to add information about build configuration to the output file
name as suffix.

For instance:
  - libsome_lib_*linux_x32*.a - static library "some_lib" for linux 32bit
  - some_lib_*windows_x64_md*.lib - static library "some_lib" for windows
64bit with dynamic release runtime
  - some_lib_*windows_x62_mtd*.lib - static library "some_lib" for windows
32bit with static debug runtime

For windows I generate projects with debug and release configurations.

Right now I play with
  - CMAKE_STATIC_LIBRARY_SUFFIX
  - CMAKE_SHARED_MODULE_SUFFIX
  - CMAKE_SHARED_LIBRARY_SUFFIX
  - CMAKE_EXECUTABLE_SUFFIX
  - CMAKE_<CONFIG>_POSTFIX

But it is not enought. CMAKE_<CONFIG>_POSTFIX changes suffix only for dll
and lib files. But not for exe file.

Also I played with <CONFIG>_OUTPUT_NAME. It solves my problem but I have to
change this property for all my projects. It is not obvious in my case. I
have too much projects.

Question: How can I setup suffixes for every configuration in one place?

Regards,
Dima