[CMake] Creating filters (a.k.a. subdirectories) for Visual Studio projects

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Tue Mar 3 08:23:01 EST 2009

On Mar 3, 2009, at 5:26 AM, Eric Noulard wrote:

> 2009/3/3 Michael Schantin <michael at schantin.net>:
>> Hello,
>>
>> is there a possibility to generate those "filters" (a.k.a.
>> subdirectories in .vcproj files) using CMake? I managed to generate
>> several CMakeLists.txt files. One resides in the root directory, the
>> other ones in subdirectories. They are included like this:
>>
>> INCLUDE(${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/mySubDir1/CMakeLists.txt)
>> INCLUDE(${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/mySubDir2/CMakeLists.txt)
>
> You usually don't "INCLUDE" CMakeLists.txt
> you usually ADD_SUBDIRECTOR

That depends on the context in which you use 'include'. Say you have
some cmake files that just contain some common cmake code or some
macros, then using the 'include' command is just fine.

    If you have a CMakeLists.txt file that starts off with project()
then it may be better to use the "add_subdirectory'

Just saying for clarity.

---
Mike Jackson                 www.bluequartz.net