[CMake] Any experiences with ICU genrb?

E. Wing ewmailing at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 20:39:50 EST 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 7:55 AM, Gerhard Grimm <ggrimm at detec.de> wrote:

>  Hi Eric,
>
> genrb does not create libraries to link against, but binary resource files
> that will be loaded by an application using ICU at runtime.
> Here's an example how we are using genrb in our project:
>

> IcuResources(cp1252 root de)
>
> This would compile the source files root.txt (for the root locale, usually
> English) and de.txt (for the German locale). Both source files are assumed
> to be encoded in cp1252.
> The output files would be root.res and de.res.
> For more information and examples, see the file "ResourceManagement.html"
> in the ICU User Guide.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Gerhard

Thank you for the response. So I got a little bit more clarification about
what's going on in the build system I'm trying to deal with. It seems that
after they use genrb to generate the .res files, they use the pkgdata tool
that also comes with ICU to create static libraries, which is the origin of
my questions/concerns.

So since you say .res files can be loaded at runtime, this might be the way
to go if I can convince them to do this. Can you tell me, is a .res file the
same on each platform? Or am I still going to get in trouble with 32-bit vs
64-bit and/or big endian vs. little endian (particularly on Mac)?

Thanks,
Eric